Before your next speech at an organized event, learn as much as you can about your audience members. Ask the event organizer to provide answers to the following questions:
- How many people will be in the audience?
- Who is speaking before and after you and on what topics?
- What is the theme for the event if there is one?
- What knowledge and experience is the typical audience member likely to have (e.g., level of education or career)?
- What types of information does the event organizer think the audience will want to receive?
— Adapted from “10 Tips to Nail a Group Presentation,” Mark Suster, http://www.upfront.com.